Week 14 Story: Kunti Sun Son

Image Credit. Kunti. Source: GoogleImages

     One morning a visitor had come to visit the kingdom that was home to young Kunti. This visitor was a sage who was known around the world for cursing those who cross him. Kunti, however, recognized how lonely this must make life for the sage. She set out to be a friend to him. He was sitting outside in the courtyard on the edge of the largest fountain when she first approached him.
"Hello, sir! I am Kunti. How are you this morning?"
The sage was taken aback by her friendliness and carefully said, "I am well, Kunti. Why are you speaking to me? Are you not afraid that I may place a curse on you like all the others?"
Kunti realized that the sage knew his reputation but let his intimidation roll off of her.
"No! I am kind, clever, and fun! I do not set out to cross you at all and now that you know my intentions you have no reason to curse me!"
   The sage agreed that by knowing she only had good intentions he had no reason to curse her. They sat in the courtyard for a long while, quickly becoming friends. Then, several weeks later, the sage got news that he was needed in other parts of the country. He went quickly went up to Kunti's rooms and told her where he was going. Kunti was devastated but knew he had to go. As he left he whispered in Kunti's ear a special sentence that would allow her to call upon any god.
   When the sage had been gone for a few months Kunti became lonely. She whispered the sentence the sage had told her wishing for someone to cure her loneliness. A god appeared and told her to go to the throne room. When she arrived in front of the king and others the god placed a baby who shown like the sun in her hands. All the people knew the baby was a gift from the gods and revered him and his mother Kunti from that moment on.

Author's Note:
While watching the Epified Mahabharata I realized that the story of Kunti's sun son was heartbreaking. I knew it was one I wanted to rewrite making Kunti able to keep her son. Mostly the beginning, except the dialogue, is closely the same. However, the ending is dramatically changed by Kunti having the ability to keep her son instead of sending him down the river.

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah!
    I really liked how you changed up the ending for this story. I did this story back towards the beginning of the semester, but it was very different. It’s fun to see how many different ways this story could be told. I like that you allowed Kunti to be able to keep her son to cure her loneliness. I think you did a great job with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah, what an incredible story you wrote! I personally did not watch the Epified Mahabharata but you mentioned in the author's note that kept the general story the same, which gave me a better idea of what the video was about. I really liked how you changed the end of the story to where Kunti was able to keep her son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I like how you changed he original story. I too watched those videos since I am more of a video person than a book person. I loved them and felt for Kunti as I read her story. I so wanted her to not lose her son. I also found it odd how every god she called impregnated her. I at first thought they would grant any wish. Sounds a bit weird that all the gods only wanted to have sex with her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion