Week 15 Story: Gandhari's New Sight

Image Credit. Gandhari. Source: Wikipedia

     It was around noon as Gandhari was walking through the castle of her new husband Dishtra. She was practicing walking with the blindfold that she had put on the moment she and her husband were married. It was new to her always seeing the blackness but she had known the sacrifice she was making. She heard someone approaching and turned towards the sound. 

"Mistress, what are you doing out of bed? You and the baby need rest," said Lakriti her handmaiden. 

You see, Ganhari was 9 months pregnant and was supposed to be in bed. However, she had grown restless and wanted to explore the castle so that she was completely familiar with it when the baby was born. 

"I am going back to bed Lakriti. Do not worry about me." 

As Gandhari walked back to her room her water broke. She had delivered the baby by the morning, but was silent the rest of the day. The king and her handmaidens had started worrying. The queen had delivered a beautiful baby girl and the entire kingdom was rejoicing. They did not know what could possibly be wrong with the queen. The king called on Shiva to come and visit the queen. Shiva appeared and asked the queen what was wrong.

"I never thought about not being able to see my child's face, Shiva. It is too great a burden." 

Shiva felt pity on the queen and her circumstances. He then knew what he could do! He restored the sight of the queen and the king so that they could both look upon the face of their newborn child. As Gandhari looked upon the face of her child and her husband looked upon her face for the first time they both felt a joy they had not known before. The entire kingdom rejoiced and the family lived happily ever after. 

Author's note:
I wanted to create a story that allowed Gandhari to get her sight back. I changed the name of the king in the beginning because it is too long. I also made Gandhari only have one child instead of 100 because I felt like that needed more explanation than a short story could provide.

Bibliography:
Gandhari's Wikipedia Page

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah!
    I like that you told this from the perspective of Gandhari. Most of the stories involving women never show it from their side. I did not read the original story, but I like how you explained why she was so quiet after her child was born. I can’t imagine how hard that would be not be to able to see your child’s face. I think you did an excellent job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah! I am glad I went back and revisited your page this week because I really enjoyed reading your story. I like that you showed more of Gandhari side. It was cool to be able to see more of this character's perspective throughout your story. I thought this story was creative and was interesting to read the whole way through. Overall, great job this week with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hannah!

    This story is the same girl from your Storybook right? I could tell you knew what you were talking about when reading this story. I can also tell you you really like her as a character! She is a great character in Indian epics and love that I got to read about her from you. Overall, great story! I am sad that this is the last one I will get to read from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion