Week 14 Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues

Image Credit. Sita Sings the Blues. Source: YouTube

      I love the Epified videos so when I saw another opportunity to watch a illustrated version of an Indian Epic I decided to go for it. After watching part a I know that I will want to watch part b as well. The animations of this film are so fun. All of the little animated characters are so cute and fun.  I love that there are narrators in this film. I remember reading the Ramayana for the first time and it was hard to keep all the characters and places straight. Not only that but it was also difficult to remember all the curses that were going on in the story too. The whole movie has an adorable look to it and the characters all were designed with so much personality. I also like the backstory of Nina and her friends. It really gives the story a more modern take on the retelling of Sita's part in the Ramayana and all the interesting events surrounding her.
     The first portion of the movie covers some of my favorite parts of Sita's story in the Ramayana. I love her first meeting with Rama and how he wins her love so I missed seeing that in this retelling. They sort of skip the first part of the story and skip right to Kaikeyi's conniving plan to make her son the king instead of Rama. I like how the narrators discuss some of the things happening in the story. Getting another take on the story and learning about other villains in Indian Epics and literature makes this movie worth watching for me. Sita's singing of the blues at the very end is an excellent ending before intermission.  It makes me wonder if there is a musical version of the Ramayana. That would definitely be something worth seeing!

Comments

  1. Hey Hannah! Just getting my last comments out of the way. I know a lot of people watched this video after we read the Ramayana, but I never got the chance! Now that I read this I kind of wish I had. It seems like it would be a much more comprehensible version that I could understand the characters and stories due to the visualization with it. I could never fully picture the characters so I can see how this would have helped.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion