Week 12 Story: The White Elephant's Sacrifice

Image Credit. Elephant Species. Source: GoogleImages.

The white elephant was roaming through the forests looking for some good bamboo to eat. He had finally found some that looked delicious but then was frightened by the ground shaking. Then he looked up the hill and saw thousands of people walking down it. He was not frightened after he saw that these people looked very harmless. He saw that the people in the front of the line were walking very slowly and did not seem healthy at all. He walked up to the people and noticed that their leader was in the front of the line. The elephant approached the people cautiously seeing what they would do before he spoke. 

"Hello, I am the white elephant in charge of this part of the forest. What are you doing here?" 

The leader spoke up and said, "We have traveled far to escape an unfair leader in our land. However, we did not plan accordingly and are dying along the trip."

The elephant was distraught for the people. He was willing to help them however he could.

"I will return very shortly." 

The white elephant took off and once he got far enough from the people he started shouting for all the elephants he could gather. Once he had gathered about 30 large elephants he lead them back to the people. 

"We have come to help you. We will build sleds out of bamboo and then take the ones who are fit enough to go to gather supplies for the others."

The elephants helped the men gather food and water to bring back to the others. The elephants also helped carry the sick and the young on the sleds. They had to travel for months but soon reached their destination. The people were forever grateful to the elephants and treated them like royalty from then on. 

Authors Note:
I wanted to recreate the story of The Great Elephant. It was a very inspirational story but I thought that the loss of the elephant's life was unnecessary. I really wanted to change it so that there was no loss of life. I came up with the sleds and it seemed like the perfect solution. 

Bibliography: 

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah!
    I think this version of the story was great! I thought it was sad that elephant died in the original story so I’m glad that you changed that part up. I think you kept the story simple. It was short, sweet and to the point. It was easy to read but had all the necessary parts to it. I think you did a good job on the story for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah!
    I really enjoyed your version of this too. I think it is very noble the Elephant had compassion and risked himself to help save the people. I think most loss of life is unnecessary and like how you changed it to them being worshipped. The sleds were a perfect idea. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hannah,

    I enjoyed reading your rendition of The Great Elephant. I appreciate that you spared the Elephant's life in your version of this jakata. Your story was an easy read and had all the thorough points from the original story too. I look forward to reading more stories written by you during the last few weeks of this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah!
    I love that your story had a happy ending and still kept the lesson from the original story because it is really sad when the lessons have to include a tragedy like the elephant dying. Your solution with the sleds was very creative. I wonder if in this version their respect for the elephant was as great as after he died because he didn’t sacrifice as much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion