Week 12 Reading Notes: Part B Jataka Tails

Image Credit. Attracting Quails to Your Yard. Source: GoogleImages.

The stories that really stuck out to me were the Great Elephant and The Quarrelsome Quails. The Great Elephant was a very inspirational story that really made me emotional. It was a very tough call for the people to either eat the elephant or continue on the way knowing that they would die. The elephant's sacrifice was extremely noble. I really like his character. He did not let the people know that he was going to save them. Which makes me like his character even more. I also like the attitude of the people. I was glad that they were conflicted about whether to eat him or not. It shows that they truly appreciate his sacrifice. I was happy that there also seemed to be a mythological element to this story. The energy that the people felt after consuming the elephant seemed to be a bit supernatural. I enjoy the elements of supernatural in the Indian Epic stories.
     The Quarrelsome Quails caught my eye because of the character of the Quail King. He is exactly what you want in a leader. He is wise and leads his people in ways that will ensure their safety. I also like that they way to remain safe is for the quails to not fight. If they do fight then they will be caught and then eventually they do get caught. I really like how each of these stories, while short and sweet, have a really good lesson in each. The Jataka tales are some of my favorites of the Indian Epics. I like the childhood story feel that they have to them. I also really enjoy the lesson that they have in each of them. As I continue the free reading I would like to read more of the Jataka tales and more of the Epified videos.

Bibliography:
Inayat. Twenty Jataka Tales. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion