Week 7 Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part D

Image Credit. Yudhishthira Enters Heaven. Source: VyasaOnline.

     The story of Ashwatthaman was a great read for the last part of the Mahabharata. The jewel on his forehead is very mysterious and intriguing. I hate that Draupadi had to lose her five sons and her brother. What a terrible set of tragedies that have befallen her. I want her to get justice but agree with Yudhishthira that even if they killed Ashwatthaman it would not bring her sons or brother back to life. There must be something done to avenge the loss she has gone through. I agree that taking the famed jewel on his head would be a type of revenge but it would not hurt him as much as the loss of six loved ones would I think personally. I think that this would be a good story to retell because it is so interesting. The jewel is mythical and supposedly magical which would make creating a story about it fairly easy.

     The story of the Afterlife captured my attention immediately. I find it interesting that it is Yudhishthira that undergoes another test yet again. I like that the ending of this story has a happy ending and that all the brothers and Draupadi get to be together yet again. Yudhishthira faces his test well and stays focused on the end goal to be reunited with his loved ones. The setting of this story would make it a fun story to retell because it has such potential with its scenery. The setting of hell even though it was just conjured was very dark and dreary. Then when Yudhishthira passes his test and becomes a celestial and is reunited with his loved ones the scenery becomes much brighter and happier. I truly liked the ending of the Mahabharata much better than the Ramayana. I thought overall the Mahabharata kept me much more interested and engaged than the Ramayana did.

Source: PDE Mahabharata. Ashwatthaman Cursed. The Afterlife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion