Week 10 Story: Krishna the Great

Image Credit. Pegasus. Source: GoogleImages.
   
    One day Krishna was sitting in his lovely palace admiring the countryside when he was visited by the God Indra. Indra was seeking help in order to recapture his home: the palace Pragjyotisha. Indra's home had been taken over by the demon Muru who was very fearsome and clever. Muru had placed large walls 10 feet thick surrounding the perimeter of the city. There was also a large moat filled with alligators and venomous snakes. Muru made sure to conjure up an army that could match his ferociousness. There were over 50,000 foot soldiers, 10,000 archers, and a calvary of 5,000 horses and men. Krishna knew the terrible odds he would be facing but agreed to help Indra get his home back.

     Krishna immediately called for his pegasus, Myriad, and explained to him that they were headed to recapture the city of Pragjyotisha. Myriad was a loyal pegasus and flew as fast as he could to the city he knew was filled with nothing but trouble. Upon their arrival, they were shot at with a continuous battering of arrows. Myriad, however, was a skilled flyer and carefully dodged all of the arrows landing before the moat safely. Krishna had observed their foes from the air and knew the quickest way to end the battle would be to defeat Muru. In a confident voice, Krishna cried, "Muru, you coward, come and fight me face to face so that I may reclaim the city of Pragjyotisha for Indra."

     Muru was furious that Krishna had come alone to face him and was drawn out from his cover in rage. He climbed over the walls poking each of his five heads over one at a time. Krishna saw his might but was not scared at all. He drew his sword and leaped from Myriad's back flying through the air like an arrow. He cut off Muru's middle head and landed on the demons back. Muru writhed in pain surprised by his enemy's quickness. Before he recovered Krishna danced from neck to neck removing each head as he went. The demon fell and at the sight of their fallen commander, his army dissipated. Indra then appeared and thanked Krishna for winning back his home promising him any boon he wished.

Author's Note:
This is a retelling of Krishna's fight with Muru. I wanted to bring in some Greek mythology elements so that is where the pegasus came from and I wanted Krishna to appear very fearsome so I put emphasis on him facing Muru alone. I really enjoyed this original and I hope y'all enjoy this retelling!

Bibliography:
Kincaid: Krishna. Source: Blogspot.

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I really liked the retelling of this story. I can tell you focused more on using detail in this story. It was very interesting reading it retold with the addition of Pegasus. When I got to the end and read your author's note I understood what inspired your story. It reminded me almost of the story of Hercules when he battles the creature with multiple heads. Overall it was a great story and liked the combination of greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah! I enjoyed your version of this story! I did not elect to read the stories about Krishna, so I was happy to read your retelling of a story about Krishna. I found your story really well-written and I enjoyed the plot. I also found it very interesting that you combined Indian and Greek mythology. You meshed the two mythologies pretty seamlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you incorporated elements of Greek mythology, stories inspired by other traditions always end up being unique creations as your own story exemplifies! I especially liked the sentence where you specified that each of the creatures heads revealed themselves one at a time, it's little details like this that gives a story charm. Also, your limited use of dialogue worked well since it was at such a point in the story when the reader anticipates coming action and this declaration did well to build up the drama. Overall, great snapshot of such a suspenseful moment for Krishna, very well executed in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah, I'm glad you chose to do a story about Krishna! He's one of my favorite characters from both the Mahabharata; I mean what's not to like? His ability to calmly face nearly any situation is one of his most admirable traits that really shows his power. Your emphasis on facing Muru alone does an excellent job at conveying this trait! Not necessarily a question for you but more in general is why Indra would need Krishna's help. I understand that gods pawn off favors to others all the time, but it seems like they should be able to win themselves! Anyways, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hannah!
    I read Sister Nivedita’s version of Krishna, and in that version, I think Krishna was a child when he battled Muru, which makes me wonder how different these two versions of Krishna’s story are. I'm curious to read Kincaid's version, what chapter is the story of Muru from? Muru sounds very intimidating in this story with his gigantic army. I’m sure Krishna with a flying Pegasus for a pet is truly unstoppable though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion