Topic Research: Women in Indian Epics

Image Credit. Dhritarashtra and Gandhari. Source: BlogSpot.

     Originally I thought that I wanted my storybook project to be over women in the Ramayana. However, while researching my project I came across the story of Uloopi. Uloopi's story is one that I want to look into more. So I have decided to make my storybook project over women in Indian epics. Here's a link to women in Indian epics. 
     Firstly, I want to do a section over Uloopi. Her story seems complex and action-packed which should make for a good read. Uloopi is a princess and I want that to be a common theme for the stories in my storybook. The key aspect of Uloopi's story that I want to use is that she saves her husband Arjuna and brings him back to life. Click here for a link to Uloopi's story. Also here's a link to Uloopi's Wikipedia page
     Secondly, I want to do a section over Sita. Sita has been a very intriguing character in the Ramayana. I am excited to follow her story more and I would like to look into her origin stories as well. Her love story with Rama is an integral part of the Ramayana so far. I like that with her story, and Uloopi's as well, I will be able to combine two topics I was interested in: love stories and women in Indian epics. I think that the main aspect of Sita's story I will use for my storybook is her love for Rama and her origin story. Click here for a link to some of Sita's stories. 
     Thirdly, Gandhari's story seems like a good one to include. She is a princess as well which fits into my theme. Maybe I'll call my storybook Princesses in Indian Epics. Gandhari's story includes her becoming the mother of a hundred sons. Which does not happen in many stories and is what I am wanting to focus on in my storybook. She also has blinded herself in her story. I am intrigued and want to look into how that occurred. Click here for the Wikipedia link to Gandhari. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion