Reading: Week 5

Image Credit. The Divine Archer. Source: Blogspot


     I am reading The Divine Archer by F.J. Gould for this weeks reading assignment. So this starts as the other Ramayana does as well. I do not remember Shatrughna in the other Ramayana. I like this style of writing better than the other Ramayana so far. It is more like a story where the other one seemed more poetic. I liked the scene where he sees Sita for the first time. Sita remains my favorite character of the Ramayana. I hope that the ending of her story is better in this book than in the other Ramayana.  
   This book portrays Rama and Sita falling in love very well. I like the scenery and dialogue from Rama expressing how he feels about Sita and how he broke the bow in order to win her over. It is interesting that Rama and all of his brothers are married on the same day. I do not remember it in the PDE Ramayana. Queen Kaikeyi is very dramatic and has yet again used her two wishes to make her son the successor. Rama is banished again. King is very distraught about Rama being sent away again but there is nothing that he can do about it.
   The death of King Dasharatha is very dramatic in Gould's retelling. Interesting that he did not bless Kaikeyi. He holds a grudge towards her for sending away Rama until his death. Then there are the weapons that Rama receives. The Rakshas shows up but Rama remains loyal to his beloved Sita and tries to protect her. Rama fails to her protected from Ravana who manages to kidnap Sita. Jatayu was one of my favorite characters in the PDE Ramayana and I love his story. He is such a hero who has a tragic ending.

Bibliography:
The Divine Archer by F.J Gould. Source: Archive.org.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion