Reading Notes A Week 3: Ramayana

Image Credit. Rama and Sita by Indi Samarajiva. Source: Flickr

The beginning of the Ramayana is very interesting. There are many characters and deities. It is hard to keep track of them all. I think that the four sons born to Dasharatha will be very special since they are Vishnu divided into fours. It seems that Rama will be the greatest of the four brothers. Even early on there is more talk of him and more description of what he is doing. So far I like all the magic and mythical creatures but I wish the setting was more descriptive.
I am enjoying the love between Sita and Rama that is beginning. I like that Sita's father had a task set that any suitor would have to pass before marrying his daughter. Rama proved himself and now he and Sita will be married. The character of Rama seems to be a classic hero and Sita a classic princess but we will see how their characters change throughout the story.
Everyone knows having four wives will lead to some jealousy eventually. I was not surprised at all when Kaikeyi asked Dasharatha to make her son the heir and banish Rama. I do not like her character and think that she could be used as a villain in one of my stories. I like Sita's character she is a true princess insisting that she will not wear bark. I like that Dasharatha stuck up for her so that she could continue to wear silk. I did not enjoy the last very sections of the story but overall I really enjoyed reading A.
The storytelling and wording is sometimes hard to follow but overall I am enjoying the complexity of the Ramayana. I'm hoping there will be more dialogue from Sita in reading B and that Rama will regain his place as heir to the throne. 

Sources used: M. DuttR. DuttGouldGriffithHodgsonMackenzieNiveditaOmanRichardson, and RyderPublic Domain Edition: Ramayana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion