Reading D Notes: Ramayana

    
Image Credit. Sita Returns to the Earth. Source: Blogspot


     Rama's encounter with the god of the ocean was a great way to kick off this portion of the reading. I like that even though Rama was clearly frustrated they were able to reach a compromise and both were able to get what they wanted. Ravana is yet again being cruel to Sita in this portion of the reading. How terrible would it be to see the head of your beloved! I am glad that she did not have to spend a long time believing that Rama was dead. Garuda was just the pick-me-up that Rama and Sugriva's army needed. I like that Garuda is able to fly over the armies. Hanuman is truly the hero at the point in the battle when he hoists up the entire mountain. I believe that without him here Rama's forces may have been destroyed.
     It seems as though Ravana only has one trick up his sleeve: making people appear dead when they really aren't. Ravana is very upset about his son's death but I am glad because it is looking more likely that Rama and his forces will win. I like that the gods were watching over Rama and decided to aid him. Hopefully, they will come to aid him in his final battle. Finally, we are about to get to the battle between Rama and Ravana.
     Yay! Rama has defeated Ravana! Oh, dear who would have thought that Rama would receive Sita the way he did? That was terrible! It was Rama's fault he took so long to rescue her. I might have to use my story this week to recreate this reunion. I hate that Sita had to go through this test to prove herself to Rama but I am happy that they will now be able to get back together.
     I am so happy that Rama has returned so his loyal brother Bharata would not have to commit suicide. Yay! Rama is finally king and he and Sita are happy! I spoke too soon. I cannot believe that after the test Sita went through Rama sent her away. I can't believe that the earth took Sita but also it serves Rama right to have to live without her. Also, I think Sita's departure was very fitting of her character.

Sources used: M. DuttR. DuttGouldGriffithHodgsonMackenzieNiveditaOmanRichardson, and RyderRamayana Online: Public Domain Edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion