Feedback Strategies

Image Credit. Helping Hands by Bob Sambol. Source: Flickr

     Feedback for me is good when it is concise, constructive, and specific. I like knowing where I excelled and where I fell short. I think that feedback is a necessary part of improving. If you do not know what to fix, how can you fix it? Negative, harsh, or degrading feedback can be counterproductive. When giving feedback it is important to stay constructive and make sure that the comments you are giving are helpful and easy to understand. 
     The first article I read was Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters A Growth Mindset by Gravity Goldberg. The advice this article gives goes along with most of what I said in the intro. It mentions taking yourself out of the feedback which I think is extremely important and something that most people find difficult to do. If you stay more focused on who you are giving feedback to and strive to think less about what you think individually your feedback will be more constructive for the person you are trying to help. 
     The second article I read was The Difference Between Praise and Feedback by Anya Kamenetz.   Initially, I think that this article does make the feedback parents give to their kids more complicated than it has to be, but it made some good points. I think that small encouragements and praise are important for children. The exact wording I think matters less than the meaning of the praise which is rewarding the child or making them feel important and special. At the end of the article, it states that giving good and precise feedback requires paying attention to whoever you are giving feedback to. I think that it is very important that when you are giving feedback you are completely immersed in whatever the task is and try your best to give good feedback. Attention is critical because if your feedback is only half done how can you expect your feedback to help at all? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion