Reading Notes: Jataka Anthology

     The first story I read that really caught my attention was The Foolish, Timid Rabbit. This story reminded me of a classic story that was very familiar. I liked the character of the Lion the best of course. He is the voice of reason in this story and also the king. The way that the author made the Lion the voice of reason and the leader was something that stood out to me immensely. I like that the leader of these animals was strong and wise. I did not like at the end when the Lion kind of made fun of the Rabbit after he had learned what really happened. He should have been kinder to the Rabbit instead of calling him foolish in front of everyone.
     The second story that I thought was noteworthy was The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart. I liked the action in this story. The crocodile formed a very smart plan in order to get the Monkey's heart for his mischevious wife. However, the monkey outsmarted them and remained the keeper of his heart. I like how the monkey had wit as his strength and the crocodile had size on his side. In the middle of the story, I did not know who was going to become victorious. I thought that the monkey had met his match until he came up with the fig is his heart trick.
     The story of Goblin City was too good not to write about. The she-goblins were very cunning and smart. They lured in the sailors and had them married in no time. I liked that the man who found out what was really happening tried to help out all his friends. I also like that not all of them believed him. It made it less of a classic fairytale and more of a realistic story. The fairy and her steed were my very favorite part. I think that I will use this character in some of my stories. She was a classic hero and I love that she could save all the men that wanted to escape.

Bibliography
The Foolish, Timid Rabbit by Ellen C. Babbitt. Source: Jakata Tales.
The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart by Marie L. Shedlock. Source: Eastern Stories and Legends.
Goblin City by W.H.D. Rouse. Source: The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 9 Story: The Magic Potion